Proper cooling ensures that you use your computer for hours together and load heavy programs without the fear of overheating. A CPU that does not have a good cooling system will face problems such as slowing down and ultimately shutting down due to the heat.
AIO coolers are in-demand among budget shoppers but they are not suitable for frequent overclocking. They are not versatile either. This means that you will start facing issues after a point. Don’t worry, though. There’s another option we can explore. It’s called the CPU water block.
Water blocks are suitable for gamers because of their efficiency and performance. If you have an expensive CPU and would like to make the most out of it, you should not ignore the benefits of water blocks. They are really good!
But, of course, there’s always the trouble of choosing the best because there are so many on the market today. To make this easy for you, we have compiled the top rated ones this year. (And, we are positive, they will remain on top for a long time!) But, before that, we need to speak about compatibility.
Importance of Compatibility
Just like every other component in your CPU, water blocks come up with compatibility restrictions. This means that you cannot just pick out any water block and expect it to work for you. There are separate water blocks for AMD, FM2, A3+, AM4, and so on. Interchanging them will give rise to issues. Most often, they won’t even work! So, checking whether the water block you like will work with your CPU will save a lot of hassle. We advise that you specifically filter your choices based on your need and only then start comparing.
In this article, we shall specifically speak about AM4 water blocks because they seem to be the most in demand.
Best AM4 Water Block – Expert’s Choice
Let’s not waste any more time and directly start with the list.
1. Thermaltake Pacific Water Block – AM4
The Thermaltake Water Block is compatible with AM4, AM2, AM3, FM1, FM2, AM2+, and AM3+. You can also use it with Intel variations. We love this particular water block because it comes with excellent features at a great value. Below are a few more details:
- It has an anti-corrosion design along with a solid CU base that has a mirror-finish.
- It gives you 7 LED options. It also has a lighting controller to help you adjust based on your preferences.
- You can count on it for optimal clearance and good dissipation of heat thanks to its 0.15mm micro-channel structure.
- This well-designed water block boasts of overclocking capacity of 3950x with ease.
- The thread ports measure ¼ inches.
The construction is sturdy
The RGB cables are not sturdy[/i2cons][/i2pc]
2. EKWB EK-Velocity CPU Water Block
If you are looking for a high-performance water block that has Amazon’s stamp of approval, this is the one for you. It is specifically compatible with AM4 processors and comes with a wide range of features. A few of them are:
- It comes with thermal paste.
- The threads measure ¼ inches.
- The base has a mirror finish (copper) while the top is CNC machined acrylic.
- The noise level you can expect is 25 dB. This means that you won’t even realize that it’s working – it is quiet and smooth.
- It is easy to maintain and offers a very smooth flow of the coolant.
- It comes with the required mounting hardware.
Some users may find it to be expensive
3. Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora – 12947
This is another copper water block that’s compatible with AMD and Intel alike. This particular water block from Alphacool is an RGB version with good aesthetics. Let’s find out more:
- It has 2 threads measuring ¼ inches each.
- It is made of nickel-plated copper.
- You can expect it to work smoothly with no problems until 60 degrees C.
- It offers addressable RGB illumination that gives you the control to make your water block shine. It has 15 digital RGB LEDs.
- It works very smoothly with multi-core processors up to 12.
- It has a total of 81 cooling fins that ensure the highest efficiency in heat diffusion.
Very pleasing to look at – the design is very good[/i2pros]
The flow is not very smooth[/i2cons][/i2pc]
4. Corsair Hydro X Series
We have never been able to leave Corsair behind in a discussion about coolers and other CPU components. This time is no exception. The Corsair Hydro X Series is a great choice with wide compatibility and many features such as the following:
- It is made of nickel-plated copper and has over 60 cooling fins.
- It has 16 individual RGB LEDs that deliver excellent lighting effects. All of them are customizable.
- The flow chamber is transparent, enabling you to see the coolant. This makes it unique and aesthetically appealing.
- This neat water block is quite easy to install. It comes with the required hardware and mounting paste to do the job.
- It has wide compatibility but we urge you to check before you purchase.
To take full advantage of the RGB lighting, you need to buy the Corsair Lighting Controller[/i2cons][/i2pc]
5. Phanteks Water Block
This particular CPU water block has a large copper base with nickel-plated acrylic aluminum. It is easily one of the best AM4 water blocks out there for a number of reasons. Let’s look at a few of them:
- It has a fine-tuned internal fin that measures 0.15mm. It works to provide good heat dissipation and cooling.
- It promises low flow resistance.
- The water block comes with a DuPont VITON rubber O-ring.
- Its copper base is larger than its competitors, giving it the edge.
- It offers beautiful LED light synchronization.
Easy to install
Doesn’t look as good as the others[/i2cons][/i2pc]
BONUS – Will Intel Water Blocks Work with AMD?
Unless they are widely compatible, this is not possible. Compatibility is usually restricted to the processor and its versions. This is because the sockets on Intel are different from those on AMD. So, a water block that is designed for Intel will not work with AMD.
It was a pleasure curating this list for you. We hope you take full advantage of it and use it to buy the best AM4 water block. If you have any doubts, make sure you reach out!